Parish History

In 1946, Fr. Joseph Gamm, C.M.F. began celebrating Mass in the auditorium of Avondale School No. 1 (presently Michael Anderson Elementary School on Western Avenue). Fr. Gamm was succeeded several years later by Fr. Francis J. Murphy. Regarded as the founding pastor of St. John Vianney Parish, Fr. Murphy began serving the Catholic population of this area in 1954, also celebrating Mass at the Avondale school auditorium.

On April 28, 1956, Bishop Daniel J. Gercke of the Diocese of Tucson, formally established St. John Vianney Parish. Construction on what is currently known as the «Grand Hall» was begun in 1958, and completed the following year. It served as the first church building on this property. The building immediately west of the Grand Hall, which now serves as the parish office, was constructed in 1962, and originally intended as a convent. Indeed, it was here that the Franciscan Sisters of Rock Island, Illinois, resided, serving the parish from 1962 – 1974.

Serving under Fr. Joe as Associate Pastor was Fr. John Herman, C.S.C who would later become Pastor. Fr. John continued the emphasis on providing a Catholic education while he watched the Parish grow from a few hundred parishioners to almost 2000. Fr. John believed in having an active Parish and grew the ministries thus allowing an increased focus on our Mission «To Know Jesus and To Make Him Known». Fr. John worked vigorously to pay off any and all debt from both the construction of the Church and school while working along-side the City of Goodyear to develop a plan to build a new church capable of holding 1700 while remaining on the current land in Historic Goodyear.

Our next Pastor was Fr. Tom Eckert, C.S.C from July 1, 2011, through June 31, 2020. He was also a Deacon for the Parish in 2002. Fr. Tom was determined to continue in the footsteps of those that came before and was integral in revitalizing both our Parish and school. He made a commitment to grow the school enrollment and brought in new school administration that shared the same commitment. Through constant and consistent messaging, Padre’s Pies fundraising (to help with registration fees), joyful invitation, and increased scholarship funding, the commitment to increase enrollment became a reality. His energy and enthusiasm for St. John Vianney were contagious and are something that we will always remember.

As of July 1st, 2020, Fr. Paul Ybarra, CSC is our new Pastor. Fr. Paul is a California native and is a Triple-Domer (has earned three degrees from the University of Notre Dame). After completing his undergraduate studies in 2002, Fr. Paul (then, Mr. Ybarra) served for two years as the St. John Vianney Middle School English and Social Studies teacher through the Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) program.

In 2011, upon priestly ordination, Fr. Paul returned to St. John Vianney for three years as Associate Pastor and 8th-grade Religion teacher. Fr. Paul brings with him a breadth of experience of ministry in parishes with schools, as well as a great love for our St. John Vianney Parish and School. 

Looking to the Future

In sum, the history of St. John Vianney Parish has been marked by loving devotion and self-sacrifice for the greater glory of God and for the spiritual welfare of the faithful. All that is here is a monument of the faith of our parishioners and their love of God. May this spirit continue to mark our story into the future!